Neovim configs and windows

Hello my fellow Neovim enjoyers, I’ve been using Neovim on Linux happily for about 2 years now.
I’ve got my own little setup using a handful of Plugins and such (thanks to packer. shout-out to wbthomason)

I just started working for a client who requires the use of a Windows Laptop and it’s going to be shipped to me later this month; and let me tell you, I’m dreading this.
What has your experience been with using Neovim + lotsa plugins on Windows? Any recommendations on nvim package management or configuration? Should I just bite the bullet and use VScode?
I know that WSL is a thing, but I’ve never used it. Is that the route I should probably go?

Just kinda reaching out for general advice. Thanks for any replies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Neovim works well on Windows. I would suggest using Windows Terminal and not worrying about any kind of GUI.

I admit I use it primarily within WSL, but I also use it on the Windows side.

Plugins that rely on Linux will not work, but in my experience good quality plugins are usually cross-platform. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

I use nvim-qt on Windows everyday with 74 plugins, and I used to experience Windows-specific problems. All of them were not so hard to fix (e.g. Fix 'Can't get tsserver to work #164' by igrep · Pull Request #222 · neovim/nvim-lspconfig · GitHub, and you’d have to modify high DPI settings of nvim-qt.exe if you use multiple displays).

Neovim on Windows is indeed not actively maintained, but as far as I use it works without a big problem.

2 Likes

I am curious: what have you seen that makes you write this?

Well, if I remember correctly, I’ve seen the dev team has no people using it on Windows somewhere in the repository before. But I failed to find such a message now. So I might misunderstand or my knowledge is outdated. Sorry!

Oh, OK. That is not surprising if they are mostly Linux/BSD/Mac sorts of folks. I do keep my Windows nvim up to date using scoop.sh and it seems to me that the versions basically track what I have on Linux. So it would seem there are at least a few Windows devs who keep up. I am thankful that they do!

The Windows GUIs vary. I have had mostly good luck with Fvim, Neovide, and goneovim, with my preference being Fvim. However, two years ago I decided that since I have mouse and clipboard support in the terminal anyway, I was not gaining anything by using these GUIs. I haven’t looked back since. The GUI tools are pretty well engineered from my experience, so if you love them that is great to hear.

2 Likes