[Poll] Should 'startofline' option be on or off by default?

Description:

When "on" the commands listed below move the cursor to the first
	non-blank of the line.  When off the cursor is kept in the same column
	(if possible).  This applies to the commands: CTRL-D, CTRL-U, CTRL-B,
	CTRL-F, "G", "H", "M", "L", gg, and to the commands "d", "<<" and ">>"
	with a linewise operator, with "%" with a count and to buffer changing
	commands (CTRL-^, :bnext, :bNext, etc.).  Also for an Ex command that
	only has a line number, e.g., ":25" or ":+".
	In case of buffer changing commands the cursor is placed at the column
	where it was the last time the buffer was edited.
  • On
  • Off

0 voters

1 Like

This isn’t a random poll for funsies by the way, I will use this and future polls to argue for/against why something is or isn’t a default in neovim. There’s stunningly little data about what users want but a lot of “users will get confused/users don’t like” handwavy arguments. This isn’t true for just neovim but in general I feel.

The discussion about startofline defaults: set nostartofline by teto · Pull Request #11135 · neovim/neovim · GitHub . Do you have any issue with it ?
It’s hard to have convincing polls. Having a reasoning to motivate the change and only then ask user input for counterarguments may be more constructive.

1 Like

Do you have any issue with it ?

I do not. In fact I like the current behavior and find it more “sane”. This was in response to someone wanting that to be the default (I think so at least, was a bit hard to follow).

It’s hard to have convincing polls. Having a reasoning to motivate the change and only then ask user input for counterarguments may be more constructive.

Depends on what you want to be convinced of. I wanted to see wheter :set startofline was as unpopular as I suspected, and now I’m pretty convinced of it :).

And yes, I understand that polls may be unconvincing. But I also don’t find the same recycled arguments particularly compelling either, which in my experience tends to be variants of

• This is a different behavior than vi/vim. Neovim shouldn’t have different behavior than vi/vim.
  • I work on 50 new computers every day as a sysadmin and changing the defaults will completely obliterate my productivity.
  • Users will get confused since they’re already used to the current behavior.

The last one is a particular pet peeve of mine because people can and will use it for literally any feature, regardless of the amount of time the behavior has been that way. Having polls for this can be a convincing counterargument since the onus is now on the person to find these “confused users”.