Configuring the VDMJ language server

I am trying to write an LSP configuration for the VDMJ language server, but I cannot figure out why my current attempt isn’t working.

This is what I have in my init.vim (note that I have my own file-type configuration that sets the vdm file-type for files written in the various VDM dialects):

lua << EOF
local lspconfig = require'lspconfig'
local configs = require'lspconfig/configs'
-- Check if it's already defined for when reloading this file.
if not lspconfig.vdm then
  local util = require 'lspconfig/util'

local mavenrepo = util.path.join(tostring(vim.fn.getenv("HOME")), "/.m2/repository/com/fujitsu")
  local version = "4.4.3-SNAPSHOT"
  local logfile = util.path.join(vim.fn.stdpath("cache"), "vdm-lsp.log")

local function getJarPath(string)
    return util.path.join(mavenrepo, string, version, string .. "-" .. version .. ".jar")
  end

local cmd = {
    -- TODO: find a way to determine the correct path for a given Java version
    "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/openjdk-11.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java",
    "-Xmx3000m -Xss1m",
    "-Dlsp.log.filename=" .. logfile,
    "-cp", table.concat({
        getJarPath("vdmj"),
        getJarPath("annotations"),
        getJarPath("lsp"),
      }, ":"),
    "lsp.LSPServerStdio",
    "-vdmsl"
  }

configs.vdm = {
    default_config = {
      cmd = cmd;
      filetypes = {'vdm'};
      root_dir = function(fname)
        return lspconfig.util.find_git_ancestor(fname) or lspconfig.util.path.dirname()
      end;
      settings = {};
    };
  }
end
lspconfig.vdm.setup{}
EOF

The problem is that the server appears to exit immediately after starting: Client 1 quit with exit code 1 and signal 0.

Now, :LspInfo shows that the configuration has been loaded correctly:

However, both the log at ~/.cache/nvim/lsp.log and the log at ~/.cache/nvim/vdm-lsp.log are empty, even after setting vim.lsp.set_log_level("debug") as suggested in the nvim-lspconfig readme. Furthermore, if I run the command shown in the output of :LspInfo in a terminal, the server appears to run correctly and the following line gets appended to vdm-lsp.log:

09:27:02.922: LSP VDM_SL Server listening on stdio

As I said, I am at a loss… is there any way I can gather more information from neovim about what is failing?

It turns out I was being a bit too naive in my understanding of how cmd is used to call the relevant command. Each entry is interpreted as an argument in and of itself, so "-Xmx3000m -Xss1m" was the source of the failure. The command runs properly with "-Xmx3000m", "-Xss1m", but there seems to be another issue with the language server itself.