Questions from a big vim and nvim noob

Quick background: I’m a Uni student that want to get into nvim. I installed nvim through scoop. And I got a couple questions to ask.

1. do I have to make the init.vim file by myself? and is by default what does it look like inside?
  2. I originally installed nvim to use it with the vscode extension but recently got interested in using a neovide, and been trying to use it but after I installed it ( through scoop)and open it, nothing seems to have change, did i do something wrong?

Hi there. Welcome to the pack, we’ve been waiting for you.

1. do I have to make the init.vim file by myself? and is by default what does it look like inside?

This will always vary from person to person. The contents of this file will always be dictated by the personal needs, for the neovim is highly customizable.

The neovim environment is originally based on the VimL language, but it can also be configured using Lua. Personally, I’d say it’s best to use it with VimL first, and make the transition (if ever) later on.

The init.vim file will then take a sequence of VimL instructions for various things, such as: “keyboard mappings”, “color scheme definitions (themming)”, "plug-ins installation and configurations (add-ons), etc.

It’s hard to tell what you gonna need, so it’s best if you take it slow and learn each step of the way by yourself. With that said, here is my init.vim, which is a bit heavy for beginners, but I’ll be here to help. Moreover, I’d also suggest you take a trip through the built-in tutorial for beginners by opening the editor and typing :Tutor.

I also invite you to the Brazilian Telegram Group in case you wanna be more closely in touch with other users. Even though is a Portuguese language group, I’m allowing foreigners to participate. Here is the link. Welcome.