Coc vs ale vs other tools

I’m learning, is coc and ale for lsp-server, for lsp-client, both ?
Are there better alternatives ?
Is there a requirement for advised python and lua versions ?
[ PS: I can have command completion for one language, but another language uses sometimes different tooling and then i get into unsolvable problems. Feel free to advise, share you nvim config file ]

Hi @devosalain,

I would say that it’s mostly a question of personal preference. Lots of work has been put into “coc” and a lot of people seem to use it, so if you like it there’s no reason not to use it. If you search the web for the differences between each of those tools, I’m probably sure you’ll find lots of different results and answers (there are probably lots of videos on youtube too).

I don’t use “conquer of completion” because I don’t want to have to install node.js to get lsp working in my editor. I know that ALE is different and has been around for a long time (when I tried it in the vim 7.4 days it wasn’t that great).

I don’t know if it’s a better alternative but I recommend using nvim-lspconfig. The main reason is that it’s maintained by the neovim team and has all the features I need (go to definition, diagnostics and much more). What you need apart from the plugin are the lsp servers: rust-analyzer, gopls, tsserver, clangd to name a few depending on the language you use, but I guess you already know that.

At the end of the day, we all have our preferences, so my advice would be to try those different plugins and keep what you find best for you.