D(elete) command fires way too quickly?

I’m a total Neovim noob. I’d been wanting to dive in for ages but finally just started to really read into it and am now going through the tutorial.

I’m at the delete commands section which is really tripping me up.

It says to do dw to delete the current word if my cursor is on the start of a word. When I do dw it deletes an entire line, unless I am like ON IT and press them at nearly the same time. Still half the time then as I lift up on w it deletes a few more lines. Is it always extremely finicky, or could it be something with my term?

I’m using Hyper, on macOS Ventura.

I tried to just skip to the next command which is d$ to delete to the end of the line, but that doesn’t seem accurate? On mine to delete to the end of the line its d<Shift> and I can’t even manage to hit the 4 in time for it to become a d$.

Is there something I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks! Eager to learn and hope to really get into it.

Ah, I got it. It means to enter then sequentially and not simultaneously. I don’t know if the tutorial mentioned that anywhere? Maybe it did?

I was trying to press d, press w real quick, then release both.

It all makes sense now lol

Yeah they are chords not combinations as you have noticed.

It’s one of basic actions but it’s a bit rare to use dw (delete until begining of next word) on it’s own. Read about working with text objects (:h text-objects) like diw (delete current word) and daw (delete word and whitespace around it - it’s pretty smart). That’s where (n)vim really shines!

Have fun!