Installing Neovim Without Admin

Not entirely sure this is possible but wanted to float this question out there in case there is some sort of workaround. I’ve been using neovim on my home system for a few months now and have become very comfortable with it. This semester at school I’m required to do quite a bit of work via my schools SSH server and currently setup the default school vimrc (for my user profile) to mimic as much of my neovim setup as possible. However, there is quite a bit I am unable to do, so I wanted to see if it would be possible to build from source (as I don’t have root permissions, obviously).

Anyway, my goal was to use a custom build location, such as make CMAKE_EXTRA_FLAGS="-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/neovim" and install it that way. However, it seems the system I am SSH’d into doesn’t have libtool and again I am unable to install that. I wanted to reach out and see if there was any sort of workaround that would be possible for me to build from source without libtool (possibly something else?).

Please let me know if something is possible, thanks!

How about installing the precompiled binary (such as nvim-linux64.tar.gz from Release Nvim v0.7.2 · neovim/neovim · GitHub)?

Also available nightly release.

@igrep @yutkat I appreciate both of your responses! I was actually able to install homebrew to my user profile via their untar anywere docs and was able to install the v0.7.2 build that way and then I just added the homebrew path to my bash profile. Regardless I still really appreciate the help!

1 Like